Friday, May 5, 2006

I'm Jennie, your social director

Here's something I've found out: If Emilyn's going to have any kind of a social life at all, it's up to me to engineer it.

Is anyone else aware of this? Apparently, kids today don't just "play." They have to have "play dates." And with "dates" comes a "calendar." And with a "calendar" comes a "secretary." And that's me.

That means I have to be organized. It means I have to plan. It means I have to network. It means I have to finagle my way in with the right moms, grease the right palms, the whole bit.

Those who know me know that this is not my schtick. I can work, take care of the kids, do dishes and laundry, sometimes sleep, and that's about it. Now I have to engineer my kid's social life? Is this what I signed up for?!?

I guess so! And I'm going to give it a try! If anybody out there has any tips, I'd love to hear them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You KNOW I've said to you and Steve that Emilyn needs to play with other kids. I'm glad you're trying to accomplish this. How about starting with the girls in her brownie troop? She knows them a little more than the girls in her class (some, of course, may be the same. AND, you may have already met their parents.

Also, isn't there a girl in her class right down the street (Mackenzie??)?

I could see Emilyn being a little afraid the first time, so maybe start with an hour and keep it at that. Of course, she could always call sooner if she wants.

Just think, maybe one day she'll be driving with three of her friends to the Meadowlands (or its equivalent) for an all-day concert with many bands. (Katie, Marissa, and 2 friends. I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!

Let me know how it goes.

Anonymous said...

P.S., I see where Laurie is REALLY pointing her finger!!!!!

Jennie said...

You're misunderstanding the problem... I don't care if she goes over other kids' houses. That'd be fine with me! But no one invites her over! That means I have to invite kids over. This is what I have no time to do: entertaining her friends.