I caved! We bought a digital camera today. (And thanks to Grandma for the anniversary gift.)
I went to Creve Coeur Camera a few weeks ago... they have very smart and helpful people there. (Everyone in St. Louis should visit them. Seven locations, one near you!) I said, "I hate digital cameras. What kind should I buy?" No, basically I told them I love my film camera, it takes the kind of pictures I want to take, can I take them with a digital camera?
At first I looked at SLRs -- exactly like my film camera, only digital. Neat! And they were just what I wanted, but SO damned expensive. And they do only what my film camera does. Point and shoot, just no film.
Then the guy showed me a tiny silver thing, no bigger than a pack of smokes. And it does a million things and costs half the price. It plugs into the TV and takes movies. It can make your picture look old-timey, or like a painting, or like a charcoal sketch. It'll take closeups, landscapes, portraits, portraits with landscapes. It has a setting for taking pictures of trees, for crying out loud! Fireworks. Running water. Food. Who takes pictures of food? A special setting for kids, I guess because they wiggle so much.
Anyway, here's my first day's efforts. I'm now convinced that I can take the pictures that I want to take with a digital camera. (Except inside with the flash. I'm still working on that.) As my friend Geof says, it's all in the photographer's eye. And the cute-as-pie subject doesn't hurt!
I went to Creve Coeur Camera a few weeks ago... they have very smart and helpful people there. (Everyone in St. Louis should visit them. Seven locations, one near you!) I said, "I hate digital cameras. What kind should I buy?" No, basically I told them I love my film camera, it takes the kind of pictures I want to take, can I take them with a digital camera?
At first I looked at SLRs -- exactly like my film camera, only digital. Neat! And they were just what I wanted, but SO damned expensive. And they do only what my film camera does. Point and shoot, just no film.
Then the guy showed me a tiny silver thing, no bigger than a pack of smokes. And it does a million things and costs half the price. It plugs into the TV and takes movies. It can make your picture look old-timey, or like a painting, or like a charcoal sketch. It'll take closeups, landscapes, portraits, portraits with landscapes. It has a setting for taking pictures of trees, for crying out loud! Fireworks. Running water. Food. Who takes pictures of food? A special setting for kids, I guess because they wiggle so much.
Anyway, here's my first day's efforts. I'm now convinced that I can take the pictures that I want to take with a digital camera. (Except inside with the flash. I'm still working on that.) As my friend Geof says, it's all in the photographer's eye. And the cute-as-pie subject doesn't hurt!
Did I mention that Allen is moving now?
It makes it even more challenging to take his picture.
I guess for that reason alone it was time to get a digital camera.
But even though I "deleted my disappointments,"
I still got a lot of great shots!

More than I probably need!

I'll head to the camera store soon to make
some prints and see how they turn out.








5 comments:
You guys will be very happy with your purchase and will soon wonder how you lived without one...just don't get frustrated with your indoor shots...very hard to take without the proper lighting and almost darn near impossible with the smaller cams...Have fun with it...hope to see more pics soon.
I'm just not happy with the color yet, and I can't quite figure out how to use Picture Manager to fix it. I mean, compare the shots with the digital with the ones in the overalls. I need to warm up the color somehow. I've got to play around with it some more. And indoors, I'm going to try the "soft flash" to see if that helps!
My biggest complaint is that mine gives a 'warning' flash before the actual flash which tends to disrupt any unposed pictures. Believe me, I'm still learning things I didn't know I could do, and I take my instruction book wherever I go. BUT, I did learn to shoot a movie, which is pretty neat, and it even has sound!
P.S., my favorite of these is the one where he's on his side....very come hitherish!
enjoy your new camera. it really is alot of fun, but you are right there is always something new to learn.
Post a Comment