Emilyn was honored this month to be selected to represent Sorrento Springs in the all-Parkway (that's our school district) art show at Queeny Park in west St. Louis County. Parkway covers a big chunk of the county and has about 19,000 kids in K-12... there are four high schools! Sorrento Springs Elementary has 385 kids.
Anyway, Emilyn was thrilled to have a piece of her artwork chosen for the show... imagine her joy to find when she got there that there were two pieces! Her weaving and her kite! Great work, kiddo! She went to the show with Daddy and Allen on Saturday, then I took her and her friend Maddie back on Sunday. Here's the proud artist with her work:
Here's what Emilyn had to say about her kite:
"It took a lot of hard work, but it was worth it. I had a practice, teeny piece of paper, and I folded it in half, and I drew half of the butterfly. And then I got a big piece of paper, and I repeated what I did on the teeny paper. Then I cut it out and colored it with markers. And here it is now!"

"It took a lot of hard work, but it was worth it. I had a practice, teeny piece of paper, and I folded it in half, and I drew half of the butterfly. And then I got a big piece of paper, and I repeated what I did on the teeny paper. Then I cut it out and colored it with markers. And here it is now!"

Here's what Emilyn had to say about her weaving:
"It was very hard. At first I didn't understand, but then
I got it. You could either use red and yellow to make orange, yellow and blue to make green, or red and blue to make purple. I put lots of blue pieces of paper down, fat lines, and then I weaved them with the red. Up and down, over and up. And then I weaved the red, up and down over and up, with purple, because red and blue makes purple. And again, here it is now!"
"It was very hard. At first I didn't understand, but then
I got it. You could either use red and yellow to make orange, yellow and blue to make green, or red and blue to make purple. I put lots of blue pieces of paper down, fat lines, and then I weaved them with the red. Up and down, over and up. And then I weaved the red, up and down over and up, with purple, because red and blue makes purple. And again, here it is now!"








4 comments:
This is for Emilyn, my beautiful and talented granddaughter.
You are the best! The butterly looks like it's ready to take off, but can you imagine if you really saw one that big? I was wondering what kind of paper you used. Was it already colored or did you have to color it in?
My favorite is the weaving. The red and blue and purple are so pretty together. I just keep staring at that picture, and I love it more each time. You did a GREAT job, and I can see why those two things were picked for the art show. I wish I could've gone there.
Did you get to take the pictures home? If you did, I can't wait to see them up close.
Oh, I think you must have gotten your hair cut lately. I really love it. See you soon! Grandma
Thanks! Here is how i made the butterfly: I used tan paper.
Thanks for letting me know about the tan paper! I hope you got to take those projects home, because I'd love to see them.
Emilyn
I just love your art work. the butterfly is just beautiful. Maybe when you come you can show me how you did that weaving, it sounds complicating. You definitely have lots and lots of creative ability. Keep it up. Great work. Cant wait to see you
Post a Comment