Friday, April 27, 2007

Jennie's Book Chat: "Bad Blood"

I also keep reading these Alex Cooper books by Linda Fairstein. Linda Fairstein, I'm sure, was a great lawyer. She's not really a great writer.

But, I got the book for 2 bucks at work, and so I read it. The central characters, Alex, Mike and Mercer, are pretty good. Alex always finds herself in some sort of moral peril. Hard to buy for an assistant DA. But Fairstein tends to bog us down in legal detail. This book was not as bad in that regard as past ones. A lot of the time, she throws in these random cases just to illustrate some particular point of sex crimes law. Yippee. And Alex spent hardly any time on Martha's Vineyard in this book. Just Joan's wedding, where she made out with a French chef. Even this felt thrown in.

But the plot device of the DNA/bone marrow transplant was cool. Did you know that, if you have leukemia and get a marrow transplant, if it works right, you'll actually make only your donor's blood, on a DNA level. So, if you leave your blood at a crime scene, it's actually their blood. Keep that in mind next time you want to commit a crime...

No comments: