Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Exploring the Meramec Greenway

One of Allen's new favorite places is the "science trail," his name for the Meramec Greenway Trail.

He got very jazzed one day when I told him that everything we can see around us is "science." "What's your favorite kind of science, Mommy?" he asked me. I told him that I'd have to say body science is my favorite. I'm always telling him about the amazing ways his body works every day.


But his favorite stuff is stuff you can find in nature, and so the river trail is just right for him. It starts out under a rail trestle, where he found bits of coal and taconite pellets. And because the rock is crumbling, he had an excellent time chipping away at the rocks -- we even found a new kind of scary, hairy caterpillar or millipede underneath!


There are lots of bugs and beautiful wildflowers along the trail, and I got to introduce Allen to a childhood favorite of mine, touch-me-nots, also known as jewelweed. The seed pods, when ripe, explode when you pinch them. Super fun!

For more from our two big hikes on the Meramec Greenway (8 miles total), click here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think its time to get Allen a "rock hammer"
Did someone say Geologist?