Thursday, October 27, 2011

Emilyn's spelling bee triumph !

Sorta makes this professional speller (and multiple bee washout) just glow with pride!

Emilyn bested everyone in her Communication Arts class to qualify for the all-school spelling bee. Wouldn't you know it'd be right in the middle of my day shift, but I made a deal to leave work two hours early, then come back at night to finish up. I couldn't miss this!

The field started out pretty big, with about 30 kids in sixth, seventh and eighth grades. They started to fall out quickly, though, even in the first round -- where a certain 6-year-old in the crowd could be heard saying "Yep" every time a correct word was spelled!

Our girl rolled through "journal," "monitor," "height," "monotony," "protocol" and "treacherous" while friends and classmates dropped out around her.

The field was whittled down to seven, then four (at which point I could almost hear her thinking: "Oh, crap, I might actually win this thing!"), then two... and the battle between Emilyn and Aman began. They both missed "sarcophagus," but Aman correctly spelled "allegiance" after Emilyn tripped up, and the sixth-grader was crowned the winner. But what an amazing effort by my sweety!


And what amazing hardware! The medal is for winning her class bee, the trophy for second place in the whole school!

For videos of Emilyn spelling all the words in the bee, click here.

No comments: