Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Markers, au naturel



The boy has been beaten down lately. Henpecked by two parents AND one big sister. "No, Allen." "Put that down, Allen." "Don't throw that, Allen!"

One thing he's always wanted to do is play with Emilyn's markers. But, just as he has about so much else, all he's heard is "No, no, NO!" So Mommy decided to give the beleaguered boy a break, strip him down to his diaper, plop him in the back yard and let him go hog wild with markers.

I first considered a rule: Put the cap back on each marker and put it back when you're done. Then I thought, NO! The poor boy can't hack all these rules! Just let him go. And so he did. And later, in the tub, all the marker came clean, except for a few stubborn smudges of purple.

Free expression

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes ya gotta break all the rules.....ask my kids about our lunches @Pizza Hut!
Good Mommying!

Anonymous said...

Can I commission some fridge art?

Jennie said...

Pan pizza, baby! Ahh, I can taste it now.

Maybe I'll let both of the kids get messy and make you a mixed-media collage for your fridge. I've got lots of foam and glitter I'd like to get rid of... Good idea!

Kathy's Virtual Yard Sale said...

Awww... see you broke a rule and he had a great time. Sometimes you just have to let them have a little fun.