While Allen was raking outside, he knocked one of our mystery fruits off the vine. He called it his "little green pumpkin."
We studied its visible properties. We decided it was green, with light green stripes, and smooth, and cool. Then, he wanted to go inside and cut it open. (Have I mentioned lately how much he reminds me of Grampy?)
A funny thing happened: Mommy could NOT hack that thing open! I even tried my cleaver!

Allen had a solution: "You can cut it with a blue foon!" (A talented scientist, but he can't say "spoon," and he doesn't understand pronouns yet.) Trial and error is the heart of good science, but that plastic spoon just didn't cut it. Later on, Daddy applied some manly pressure and got the thing open. It's very white inside and looks a lot like a zucchini or pumpkin. I told Allen we'd pick a bunch and put them in a basket, but Daddy doesn't want us to do that quite yet. He still thinks they'll grow into something interesting.







1 comment:
They've certainly grown quite a bit, but they still remain a mystery fruit!
Post a Comment