Thursday, June 11, 2009

Catching up with some Crabbes

On Thursday, we visited with Steve's Uncle Fred and Aunt Sandy in Englewood, N.J., a great little town just north of the George Washington Bridge. Fred and Sandy live right in the center of it all... Imagine a little mini-city, where everything you need is just steps from your door.

We walked down the street to lunch at the Blue Moon Mexican Cafe, where I had the most wonderful steak and avocado wrap. They had the best item ever on the kids menu... Noodles with butter! Allen was pleased.

Then, another little stroll to the gelato shop... Of course, in fine Crabbe fashion, Fred and Sandy know every proprietor by name and make everyone feel warm and welcome! I had a delicious mix of maple-ginger snap and hazelnut gelato... Very tasty and lots of fun.

Then, another short walk to the toy store, where a very friendly little girl clamped on to Allen... I managed to restrain myself from buying a Playmobil shark cage... Allen got Rheneas, a narrow-gauge engine from the Thomas world, and Emilyn got stickers and bracelets. Thanks, Fred and Sandy, for lunch, treats, gifts and a truly wonderful visit. It was so good to see you both!

After an interlude of Czech food (Zlata Praha sauerbraten, direct from Astoria!) and birthday angel food cake for Daddy, we ran off in a pouring rain to rendezvous with Steve's Uncle Bill and cousin Caitlin. Again, we haven't seen them since Emilyn was a baby! As Allen slurped jelly from little packets and Caitlin tried to down a chocolate shake and a huge piece of cake, we reminisced a little -- over Emilyn's sniffles. She was sick and Allen was tired, so we had to cut it short. But it was a great visit.

1 comment:

wcrabbe7@aol.com said...

It was wonderful seeing all of you, Emilyn and Allen are the best!Steve and I actually spoke about a nickname that I gave him when he was 3 or 4 years old, one day Steve and I were sitting on a couch and I asked him what his name was and he looked right at me and said "Fooch". He continued answering to that name until he was about 10 years old. After that I called him Stevie TV and that lasted for several years! Seeing Steve and Jen brought back so many memories.