Well, it doesn't happen very often. And it's never happened here. So, Allen and I just had to head down to the Missouri Botanical Garden and see the corpse flower in bloom.
The line was plenty long! But the flower itself was a letdown. Not very big, not very stinky.

What was not a letdown -- the preparations for the Lantern Festival, opening in six days and running all summer long -- the first festival of its kind in the U.S.!
We saw a junk... that was made of actual junk! (4,600 water bottles, to be precise.)

And we found out it takes 15,000 medicine bottles filled with colored water to make this magnificent beast.

Oh, mark my words: When we go back to the Lantern Festival -- at night! -- in a few weeks, I will be taking more pictures. I think it just might rival our trip there to see the Niki de St. Phalle sculptures. Or possibly the Chihuly glass. Whenever they host these amazing exhibits, it's like a whole new garden. I feel very fortunate to live so close to such a cultural treasure!
For the rest of our photos from the garden on Sunday, click here. And stay tuned for more on the Lantern Festival -- Magic By Night!







No comments:
Post a Comment