Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Kindergarten fun at the zoo

Almost done with kindergarten. Unbelievable!

One of the last big hurrahs was the kids' field trip to the St. Louis Zoo -- one of our favorite destinations, and we could not have asked for nicer weather!

I'd call this a "right-sized" field trip. I got two kids to wrangle -- Nate and Allen -- which is just the right number for me. And we fit in one seat on the bus. And we didn't set off until 9. And we got back on the bus at 1. Just right!



In that time, though, we were able to see all of our zoo favorites... We got to the Children's Zoo before 10, when they start charging. The boys (reluctantly) took a few minutes to pose for some pictures... I remembered how I had taken the same photos of Emilyn and Sarah when they were little... Awww!



Allen and Nate were (mostly) good sports about it, and I got some really cute pictures.



The super-great thing was we got a very good look at baby elephant Kenzi and her mom, Rani. Kenzi was born last summer and just went on display in September of last year. She was really, really cute. Elephants are just amazing, and our zoo is lucky to have a long run of good luck with breeding them.



After lunch, it was on to the bears, penguins and apes. The penguins were swimming and splashing anybody who got close. The chimps were getting a nice lunch of cabbage and cauliflower.



Great job, Allen and Nate! I'd chaperone you guys anytime.



To see all of our photos from the zoo, click here.

No comments: