
We had a nice time with Flat Stanley, who came to us from first-grader Erin Blauvelt, the daughter of a friend of my sister's. He came in the mail -- in his underwear! -- and we were asked to dress him up and show him around town.
Hmm... How to dress him like a St. Louisan? No contest! Emilyn and I made some excellent Cardinals gear and outfitted him like a champ. Then, where to take him? Well, where else? We headed down to the Arch and Busch Stadium, and posed in front of the swollen Mississippi River. Emilyn wrote an excellent paragraph or two to go with him, which I've transcribed here:
"St. Louis is famous for its barbecue and smoked meat. It's also famous for the Arch and being the place where they invented the ice cream cone in 1904 at the World's Fair. All the pioneers that settled the West started in St. Louis. The Arch is 630 feet tall and was built in 1965. The St. Louis Cardinals (the baseball team) won the World Series recently, in 2006. This year they are not doing so well. The Old Courthouse is one of the buildings to survive the big fire.
"On Friday, I took Stanley to school. He showed off his fantastic clothes to my class. They said he looked good! He stayed in his envelope for the rest of the day."
Our visit with Flat Stanley







3 comments:
I still have Flat Emilyn, do you remember her? Probably the same kind of class exercise.
I think you were supposed to send that back, too.
OH!
Post a Comment