Friday, April 4, 2008

7 1/2 D

I've added two days of walking a week to my three days of biking. Trying to get somewhere, anywhere with this last 10 pounds I'm trying to lose!

So, my old sneakers were pretty much shot, and walking three miles in the pouring rain pretty much was the end of them. So, I did my standard thing: Picked up another $10 pair at Wal-Mart. 8 1/2 wide. The size I always buy.

Then, Steve heads to the New Balance store (as he does every few years) and buys his $125 fancy sneakers. Because he has some oddly shaped feet. No big deal. He needs 'em.

So, on my second walking day, it's raining. Again. I head out in my new $10 tennies. Well, I stayed dry... But my feet slid and wiggled and jammed and pulled and you name it in those shoes. It was a three-mile, soaking wet nightmare.

Now, I start to think: I could use some fancy New Balance walking shoes. Fit by a professional. And, because I paid a pretty disposable price for the poorly fitting Wal-Mart shoes, I figured I wasn't being extravagant buying another pair just 5 days later.

So, Michael at Brown's New Balance in Creve Coeur measures my foot. 7 1/2. D width. Are you kidding me!? I can't remember the last time I bought a shoe smaller than an 8. I even have 9's in my closet! (He made a funny remark about most women who come in there insisting their feet are smaller than he says. And there I am insisting mine are bigger.)

So, I strap on the $99 New Balance shoe, size 7 1/2 D. It feels pretty snug, but pretty good! When I'm walking, all I want is a shoe that fits, something my foot doesn't move around in. I figure I've been buying big shoes all this time just to get the width I need. Makes sense, I guess. And a dress shoe doesn't need to fit like a walking shoe. You aren't going to put any stress on it.

Anyway, I'm a 7 1/2 D. And I can't wait until my next walking day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to buy $20 sneaks at Sears, until I got tired of having to buy big bandages to cover the big blisters and sores on the back of my heel before I could put the cheap sneaks back on! I've been buying a New Balance walking shoe for a while now, it's $45 and I make it last probably longer than it should, according to the experts. Bottom Line...you get what you pay for and it's worth it! $125 sneakers?

Unknown said...

Do the sizes differ by brands? I noticed the new Asics I bought a few weeks ago - I had to step up to a 13...i'm usually a 12. And the 13's are pretty tight still. I tend to go through shoes pretty fast regardless of how much I spend - dress shoes i'll pay a bit more...sneakers I've had to bite the bullet and just buy cheaper pairs.

Anonymous said...

Jen, my sad story is that I've gotten the same style of New Balance for the last several years, the last time over the internet. Apparently, to my dismay, it's a discontinued style and not available in too many choices of size. I'm not happy about that!

Jennie said...

Well... depending on how flush you're feeling... we can take you to the New Balance store while you're here. (Pretty expensive, but made in the USA!)

Anonymous said...

I swear, there's divine intervention...Today, I went to Sears and wandered into the sneaker area where they've NEVER had 'my' favorites. Would you believe they had one pair on clearance for $34.95. I only wish they'd had two! I didn't realize they were made in America, also the tongue always has a pink ribbon, which means they contribute to breast cancer research. NB is a good deal all the way around!