Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Developing a snotty mouth

Here's what happens when you push a boy past his naptime...

Allen was whiny today, after Grant's Farm and before lunch, so I thought maybe some grape juice would make him feel good.

Mommy: "Want some grape juice, buddy?"

Allen (in a plaintive wail): "Is it gonna be cool?" (Remember how he's obsessed with the temperature of his beverages?)

Mommy: "Yes, it's cold. Do you want some?"

Allen (wailing again): "Is it gonna be cool?" (Another thing to remember is that he draws a very distinct line between cold, cool, warm and hot.)

So, I start to ignore him for a while, thinking this line of inquiry is going nowhere... I just pour him the juice! Then, we can't believe what starts coming out of his mouth:

Allen: "Answer me. Is it gonna be cool?"

... and then: "Fine, I'll just drink it. I'll just drink the grape juice."

I'm just standing there, agape, resisting the urge to pummel him. Emilyn is trying not to laugh, of course... Steve is just coming into earshot and can't believe what he's hearing... I just think to myself: It's my fault. I should never push him past his nap!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's too bad he's so lovably cute...that takes away the urge to reprimand. I'd be curious as to where he heard this.