Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Mixed grill

I am in love with the meat counter at Whole Foods.

It's a lot like a candy counter, really. I mean, there's an incredible array of prepared meats (raw, but seasoned) that you can choose from. When I first saw them, I was a bit overwhelmed. But then, I got it into my head that I could just buy one of a few things and grill them up for lunch... a "mixed grill," if you will (all the rage a few years ago. Like everything else, it takes us a while to catch up).

So, here's what I settled on for the menu:

  1. Buffalo chicken sausage with bleu cheese (2)
  2. Onion and gorgonzola beef burger (1)
  3. Santa Fe turkey burger (1)
  4. Greek chicken kabobs (2)

That seemed like enough food for the four of us! I planned to round out the meal with some roasted sweet corn and some tomato salad (fresh basil, from the farm!). What I didn't anticipate was the rain that came down just as I got my fire started. Not a drenching rain, but certainly a shower, and my fire never did get going the way it should. (Plus, I've figured out that putting the corn on the grill really steals the heat from the meat... I shouldn't be cooking everything at the same time, I think.)

So, I fired up the oven, and my mixed grill turned out to be a mixed broil, but everything was still very tasty. I'd say the chicken sausage was amazing. And only the kabobs were expensive, really. (At $9.99 a pound, two of them were about $15.)

And there are so many more flavors to try at the candy counter... I mean, meat counter. So, you know I'll be back!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

I went back today for more chicken sausage... andouille, spinach feta and maple apple. Awesome! I'm thinking of eating all my food in sausage form from now on.

Kathy said...

YUM sausage. My mouth is watering here. I might have to check out the "pork" store soon.