Saturday, June 18, 2011

Not the anniversary party we imagined

It's not a real vacation until you make your second 911 call! (OK, I didn't have to make the second 911 call...)

Saturday morning had been set aside for me and Allen to go and see my good friend Eileen, who was going to be in Pearl River with her four kids for checkups at the pediatrician. Well, we met up as scheduled at Central Avenue Field, and as we were talking, we decided to head over to Jeanne's house so Eileen and the kids could meet Maddi -- who they had spent much time praying for when Maddi was in the hospital. Good plan! (Thanks to Eileen's big girl, Kaylie-Rose, for taking this picture!)


And here I was all worried about making it back in time to get cleaned up and dressed for the big 65th anniversary party... Turns out, back on Holt Drive, Steve and Linda were having trouble with Grandpa, who was having more and more difficulty breathing. First, the decision to take him to urgent care. Then, the decision to call 911. Party scrubbed! Much more important things to worry about!

All the guests were redirected to the house, where everyone kept Grandma's spirits up with food and drink and lots of picture-taking!


I spent much of the day as friend to Sophie, who said I looked and sounded like Velma from "Scooby Doo." I entertained her (as best as I could, anyway!) by acting out the plots to different episodes... which were all pretty much the same, right?

It wasn't the party we had imagined, but Steve never had to get dressed up! So, that's something!

No comments: