Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Staycation - Long walk in the park

Tuesday was a bit of a weird day... Allen, Daddy and I had decided to go on a hike. On our way to the park, I got a call on my cellphone from Maureen at work. Odd, and terrifying, in light of the recent and still-painful layoffs of my friends.

One of the first things she says is, "This is a good phone call." Well, thank you. She is calling to tell me that "my name is on a list" to use the corporate box the next evening at the Cardinals game. I'm thinking, "Yay, we can all go!" Then she says, "No, it's just for you to spend some time with your colleagues."

Now I'm thinking it's some kind of loyalty test... which makes me very uncomfortable. Do I want to go and glad-hand with the very people who just fired my friends and are very likely plotting me out of existence??

Then I'm thinking, yes, I should take any and all oaths offered. I should get down on one knee and kiss their rings if that's what it takes to keep my job. If there's a list of people who move forward in the New World Order, and a list of those left behind, I know which list I want to be on!

Well, it turns out I overthought the whole thing. More on that later.



We got to the park and chose the three-mile Grotpeter Trail. It has a very steep ascent called "Cardiac Hill" -- with a handy bench at the top -- which we scaled with aplomb. Daddy got to see the baby birds that Allen and I had seen a few days before. And we survived an encounter with a scary (but wounded) hissing turtle!

It was a great hike, and we travelers were really proud of ourselves at the end.

Later on, we spent some time around our new patio table, working Cryptofamilies puzzles, which Emilyn said were "addicting." She and Allen also ran through the sprinkler... and we all decided that deck-sitting should be a major part of this particular staycation.

No comments: