Well, I got robbed of my first two days of vacation, and for a very sad reason... Three of my colleagues got the ax from the Post-Dispatch, and suddenly we were scrambling to fill their shifts. On Saturday the 9th, three people were scheduled to work. All three had been laid off. Hmm. That's a poser for management, huh?
Well, the obvious answer is Jennie works the Friday and Saturday that she had been promised off leading into vacation. And, with so much stuff with the house still up in the air, we weren't going anywhere. I decided to agree to those two days -- but no more! My two weeks of vacation was on, and short-staffing be damned. It wasn't my idea to fire 40 percent of the copy desk.
So, yes, it was the end of a pretty rough week. Allen and I decided to get out and get our blood moving before I had to go to work... a hike in the woods is always our first choice.
We got to Castlewood State Park and powered straight up the hill, drinking in the beautiful view from the top...

We came down the switchback way, which is almost harder on the knees -- and where Daddy famously wiped out in an attempt at mountain biking. We saw some shelf fungus and checked out bugs and whatnot on the trail.

At the bottom, we watched while a mommy barn swallow swooped in under a pavilion and fed her four hungry babies. We even saw one turn his butt around and poop over the side! Big fun for an almost-first-grader!

And, then I headed off to work. Last day before our big staycation! Whoo-hoo!







No comments:
Post a Comment